2015: Diving Off An Island

I purchased a one-way bus ticket and moved to NYC the day after my college graduation. As an eager idealistic 22-year-old, NYC wasn’t just a floating geographical land mass, it represented freedom.

My first steps outside Port Authority, or as it’s more commonly known, Hell.

My life was going to be equal parts Gatsby-inspired parties, cocktail hours discussing the merits of Dorothy Parker, stimulating conversations with coworkers about the most important news events of the day, and racing up the career ladder. Happiness was a formula, a series of causes and effects solved by some quasi-geometric proof that would miraculously fall into place at a predetermined time. “It’ll happen when I get a promotion.” “It’ll happen when I qualify for the Boston Marathon.” “It’ll happen when I find a man with proper text-iquette.”

…I should have known better. I almost flunked Geometry.

Don’t worry 9th grade Beachy. You’ll pass with a solid C for Character.  Also, the braces will come off but it will be three more years until you land a date.

As I approached my 25th birthday I couldn’t help but wonder; What would a year be like investing in growth as an individual instead of a job title?  968 days, 9 roommates, 5 rats run over via bicycle, a 4-story walk-up, 3 bridesmaid dresses, 2 full-time jobs, 1 tattoo, and a few good men after that one-way bus ticket I started  to realize that happiness is not a formulaic checklist, it’s an action.

Jack you were right, I don’t know if I can handle the truth.

In December of 2014 I left my job, started a digital storytelling company, and booked a one-way ticket to Peru…that leaves seven days from now. So in lieu of resolutions, I have one goal for my 2015 swan dive out of Manhattan — make it count.

About these ads
Tagged Peru

6 thoughts on “2015: Diving Off An Island

1. Sharon Warner says:

You will certainly make it count! What a gutsy decision! I’m truly excited to see and hear where this adventure will take you! From knowing you, I’m sure that whatever you tackle and whatever challenges you ……you will conquer and eloquently write about! Good Luck and enjoy!

2. Jaz Gray (@JazGrayDriven) says:

You better go! I love the part where you talk about that 25th year of life and what you learned. And the one way tickets. Those aren’t easy lol, unless you’ve grown enough to bask in the risk. And it seems you definitely have. Make it count is what we should all do this year. Thanks for sharing your start!

3. Heather @ RFC says:

I reread “5 rats run over via bicycle” three times before I could continue. *shudder*. Excited for you Beachy, can’t wait to follow your adventures!

4. Elaine Mariolle says:

I enjoy following your adventures. Best wishes and happy trails. Hope you make it to El Tour de Tucson someday. Elaine Mariolle

5. jamescox169 says:

Beachy, you inspire us all to take that leap! I am sure you will have great stories to add to your life in NYC and look forward to participating remotely in what I have yet to be bold enough to do. Have fun, be safe and stay in touch!

6. BAKED Magazine says:

Beachy, this is amazing! I went to a networking event and Matt Allyn was there and told me you had left Rodale. I actually couldn’t believe it but Beachy Media is going to be a hit. Everything you set your mind to will be your next biggest accomplishment! Have fun in Peru and be safe. I can’t wait to see what footage you collect. xx

-Teresa